Fwd: Several questions.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: kernel.linux <kernel.linux@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 17:52:30 +0500
Subject: Re: Several questions.
To: spencer ward <infotechsys@pivot.net>

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 04:43:01 -0400, spencer ward <infotechsys@pivot.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> Last week I installed Debian for the first time
> and now I would like to update my system.
> My first question is when I try to sign on
> in the debian gui pop up I get the message
> that root can't use that window to sign on.
> Why is that and how can I over come that?
Hello Spencer,

As you are mentioning  that GUI d'nt allow you to login
as root , so it must be showing you the reason of that.

You can over come with

# useradd -uid 0 -g 0 -o -s /etc/SHELL_DIR/SHELL_NAME  \
  -d /home/USER_HOME_DIR_NAME username

but i will prefer to add your own username with unique uid.

you can take help from manual  if i am not good with syntax

> I would now like to update my desktop
> environment to the new release of KDE.
> Do I have to update the GNOME package
> as well?