Re: Setting permissions on /mnt

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 08:59:31PM -0400, shrevie@ntnation.com wrote:
> I have a Debian Linux Sid system that has a compactflash slot, setup to
> mount CF cards on /mnt/flash.
>
> I mount them from the commandline, just doing something like this:
>
> mount -t vfat /dev/hdg1 /mnt/flash
>
> When mounted, the filesystem is read-only (which is what I want), but is
> owned by root (I can't execute mount except as root).
Yes you can, mount is setuid. But for security reasons, you will have
to add:

/dev/hdg1	/mnt/flash	auto	user,noauto	0	0

to /etc/fstab (as root).

Then, as a normal user:

mount /mnt/flash

	change auto (3rd field) to vfat to disallow disks that aren't
	DOS-formatted

	change user,noauto to ro,user,noauto to prevent users from
	writing

	try noauto,uid=0,umask=022 for anybody-can-read
	only-root-can-mount

> However, I want a non-root user to be able to access it.... and even as
> root, I can't change the perms on /mnt/flash after mounting.
You can't change the perms because vfat doesn't support perms.
If you want perms, I'd suggest using ext2fs.

--
The world's most effective spam filter:
        ln -sf /dev/full /var/mail/$USER