Re: Tux logo, Nvidia drivers, and framebuffer

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 12:08 -0400, Brian Pack wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 11:28, Ruairi Newman wrote:
> > On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:07:34 -0400, Brian Pack <afcpack@verizon.net> wrote:
> > > I want to have either the Tux logo or a bootsplash screen at boot. I've
> > > found a few pages that explain this, but each time I delve deeper I hit
> > > roadblocks. I've been referred to kernel patches at www.bootsplash.de,
> > > but I have no idea which package I need.
> > >

> > You should get the little Tux logo on boot if you're using frambuffer
> > support.  If you have the kernel-source package installed, read the
> > files in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/
>
> Like I said, I'm missing info. Like adding video= or vga= to the
> menu.lst to tell grub I want to use framebuffer mode at boot. Google is
> my friend. :)
>
> I'm making progress. By adding video=vesa vga=0x317 I get a blank screen
> up to the point that X starts. That's not a problem for now, because I
> know I'm on the right track. I'm recompiling a kernel right now that has
> vesa included, and not a module, as well as console framebuffer support.

Here is one of my boot options from grub.

        title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-1-k7
        root            (hd0,0)
        kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.8-1-k7 root=/dev/hde3 ro vga=791
        initrd          /initrd.img-2.6.8-1-k7

vga=791 is my usual one I use for non-X machines

vga=788 is the mode it 791 can't/won't work.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux