Re: ALSA

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 03:29:26PM -0400, Rod MacPherson wrote:
[..]
>The first is /etc/hotplug/blacklist add a line with just the name of
>the OSS version of the sound driver module for your soundcard/chipset.
>(in my case, since mine is an AC97 compatible chipset it was
>"i810_audio")

The package alsa-base comes with the file
/etc/hotplug/blacklist.d/alsa-base I guess that if that file doesn't
take care of your problems with getting hotplug to leave out OSS modules
then you should bug report.

>The second is /etc/discover.conf add a skip line for your OSS module
>(in my case it was "skip i810_audio")

Ah, cool. I removed the discover package to get my ALSA working. This
would have been a cleaner solution.

>This should prevent the system from discovering it as well as prevent
>hotplug from loading it later in the bootup process.

These two packages seem to overlap, don't they? Hotplug is pulled in due
to udev and seems to do a bit of discovery, what is left for discover to
do? (My system seems to work just fine with only hotplug + udev.) Will
there be more magic is both are installed?

One other note. I recently had a problem with hotplug and ALSA, this was
due to hotplug thinking that I needed the snd_usb_audio module inserted.
I haven't got a clue why it all of a sudden started thinking that!
Adding it to the blacklist took care of the problem.

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://magnus.therning.org/

"Sendmail" and "make" are two well known programs that are pretty widely
regarded as being debugged into existence. That's why their command
languages are so poorly thought out and difficult to learn.  It's not
just you -- everyone finds them troublesome.
     -- Peter van der Linden, Expert C Programming, p. 220