Re: knoppix vs standard debian?

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 08:38 pm, Scotty Fitzgerald wrote:

> Is there a webpage or faq, or can somebody clue me in to, whether I
> should get a "regular" debian?!  Would there be an advantage to, say,
> picking up a copy of "Debian Bible" and installing that instead over
> knoppix debian?

If it's the same book I looked at not long back, it comes with Debian Potato
on the back cover.  That's about 17.6 million years old in Linux terms.  So
no, that's probably not a good way to go.

> As a follow up, if I get a "regular" debian, will I eventually be able
> to make my own bootable debian CD with my selections of software?  Or
> is this a capability that only knoppix has?

Sure you can.  I don't actually know how to do it, come to think of it, but
it's certainly possible.  That's how KNOPPIX does it after all.  One thing
about Debian (and Linux more generally) is that we have tools out the wazoo
to do things that Windows users have to pay a lot of money for.  They're not
always the most intuitive or easy to use tools, but they're bristling with
useful gadgets.

--
Michael McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/