e2fsck, smartmontools

Can e2fsck repair/cope with physical problems with a disk?

smartmontools found a number of bad blocks on my hard drive. I don't
remember the exact wording. Other disk parameters seemed fine, i.e.,
the disk as a whole was not in imminent danger of failure.

Can e2fsck, or some other program, permanently cordon-off these bad
blocks so that I can continue to use (the rest) of the drive? I would
rather lose parts of the current drive than have to get a new one.

Richard