Re: keyboard not working after upgrade

Kent West wrote:
Nicolas de Sereville wrote:

I am running debian testing (kernel 2.6.6) and yesterday I upgraded some packages (vim, xemacs, *kdm*, ...). Now my keyboard is not working anymore when kdm asks me for the user and password. I can use the keyboard to choose the OS I want to boot from lilo, but when the x session begins it stops working. I can only enter in my box from another computer through ssh.

(==) ServerLayout "Server Layout"
(**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
(**) |   |-->Monitor "Monitor0"
(**) |   |-->Device "ATI Graphics Adapter"
(**) |-->Input Device "Mouse1"
(**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard1"
(**) Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
(**) Option "XkbRules" "xfree86"
(**) XKB: rules: "xfree86"
(**) Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
(**) XKB: model: "pc105"
(**) Option "XkbLayout" "es"
(**) XKB: layout: "es"

(**) Mouse1: Buttons: 5
(II) Keyboard "Keyboard1" handled by legacy driver

I would suggest ssh'ing in, and shutting down kdm ("/etc/init.d/kdm stop"). Does your keyboard work at the console now? If not, I'd disable kdm temporarily (about a dozen ways to do this) and reboot; does your keyboard work at the console?

OK, I shut down kdm as you suggested after ssh'ing. Unfortunately I cannot check if the keyboard work since I am at work and my box is at home. I will let you know tonight when I go home. By disabling kdm temporarily, do you mean that after reboot X is not started? If so, how can I achieve it?

If the keyboard works at the console, you know the problem is either X- or KDE/KDM-related. I'd then take KDE/KDM out of the picture, and start X with a different wm/environment, such as icewm (just create a "~/.xinitrc" with the single line "icewm" (you may need to "apt-get install icewm") and start X with "startx"). Does the keyboard work? If so, you know the problem is KDE/KDM-related; if not, you know the problem is X-related.

It sounds very logical. I installed icewm to make the checks tonight.

You can reconfigure X with "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86". I assume you're wanting the "es" (Spanish?) layout? Most US-ian keyboards are PC104 instead of PC105. I'm not sure what that "legacy driver" thing is.

Yes I am in Spain with a spanish keyboard. My /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file was generated by the ATI driver to have 3D acceleration and the TV-out enabled. Instead of "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86", I guess I can reconfigure X with the ATI tools. Anyway, my keyboard used to work before yesterday without any problem.

Let us know the results of these tests.

Thank you very much for your ideas and I will let you know as soon as possible.

Nico