Re: Why Does apt-get Want to Uninstall KDE?

On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 09:56:20PM -0700, Scarletdown wrote:
> I was wanting to install KOrganizer, since the version currently
> installed crashes.  However, when I do apt-get install korganizer, I am
> informed that kde is to be uninstalled?  Why is that?
>
> Here is the output from apt-get...
>
> apt-get install korganizer
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>   kaddressbook kalarm kandy karm kdepim-kfile-plugins kdepim-kio-plugins
> kdepim-wizards kitchensync kmail kmailcvt knode
>   knotes konsolekalendar kontact korn kpilot ksync ktnef libbluetooth1
> libgnokii2 libgpgme11 libkcal2 libkdenetwork2
>   libkdepim1 libkgantt0 libkleopatra0 libkpimexchange1
> libkpimidentities1 libksieve0 libmal1 libmimelib1 libsdp2
> Suggested packages:
>   egroupware kleopatra bogofilter annoyance-filter f-prot-installer
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   kde kdepim kdepim-libs libkdenetwork2-dev
>   kdepim-kio-plugins kdepim-wizards kitchensync konsolekalendar kontact
> ktnef libgnokii2 libgpgme11 libkcal2 libkdepim1
>   libkgantt0 libkleopatra0 libkpimexchange1 libkpimidentities1
> libksieve0 libmal1
> The following packages will be upgraded
>   kaddressbook kalarm kandy karm kdepim-kfile-plugins kmail kmailcvt
> knode knotes korganizer korn kpilot ksync
>   libbluetooth1 libkdenetwork2 libmimelib1 libsdp2
> 17 upgraded, 16 newly installed, 4 to remove and 781 not upgraded.
> Need to get 14.4MB of archives.
> After unpacking 23.9MB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
>
> That doesn't make any sense.  I mean, KOrganizer is a KDE app, so why
> would kde itself get removed?
>

> --

~ %% apt-cache show kde
Package: kde
Section: x11
Installed-Size: 48
Maintainer: Debian QA Group <packages@qa.debian.org>
Architecture: all
Source: meta-kde
Version: 4:2.2.25
Depends: kdelibs3, libarts | libarts-alsa | libarts-bin, libkmid | libkmid-alsa | libkmid-bin, kdebase | kdebase3, kdebase-audiolibs | kdebase3-audiolibs, kdebase-libs | kdebase3-libs, libkonq3 | libkonq4, konqueror | konqueror3, kate | kate3, konsole | konsole3, kdebase-doc | kdebase3-doc, kscreensaver | kscreensaver3, kdewallpapers | kdewallpapers3, kuser, ksysv, kcron, kpackage, secpolicy, kghostview, kview, kmail, korn, ark, kab, karm, kcalc, kcharselect, kdepasswd, kdf, kedit, kfind, khexedit, kjots, knotes, kpm, kpaint, kiconedit, kfract, ksnapshot, kruler, kdict, kdm | x-display-manager, kit, knode, ksirc, koffice, knewsticker, ktimer, kcoloredit
Suggests: aktion, kde-i18n, kde-games, kde-extras, kde-devel, anti-aliasing-howto, kdessh, artsbuilder | artsbuilder3, kmix | kmix3, kscd | kscd3, noatun | noatun3, libarts-mpeglib | libarts3-mpeglib, korganizer, kdepim-libs
Filename: pool/main/m/meta-kde/kde_2.2.25_all.deb
Size: 7232
MD5sum: 4029e970ffd3e6f06946c91000afb856
 A metapackage containing dependencies for the core suite of KDE including
 kdelibs, kdebase, kdeadmin, kdegraphics, kdemultimedia, kdenetwork, kdepim,
 koffice, and kdeutils.  Provides Suggests and Recommends for all other
 KDE based packages.
 .
 Does not contain depends for Toys, Games, or Development packages.
Task: desktop

~ %%

KDE is a dependency package.
apt-get install kde
apt-get remove kde

Will install all of the KDE core.
If you remove any piece of KDE, the (useless except for deps) kde goes
along, and kdepim/kdenetwork2-dev was probably conflicted on by
korganizer.

--
The world's most effective spam filter:
        ln -sf /dev/full /var/mail/$USER