GNOME logon problem in Debian Sarge

My problem:

GDM starts OK, when i type username and password and
click enter,
my monitor goes black and the led goes off and on ad
infinitum.
CRT-ALT-BCK returns me to GDM (that is when i select a
gnome session).

If i select a diferent desktop (for example KDE or
window maker) it works fine.
This started to happen when i installed the nvidia
driver (nvidia.com).
If i use nv driver GNOME works ok. (i am writing this
in a gnome session).
I have tried xdm and kdm with the same results, gnome
doesn't start.

I have installed the nvidia driver with the script
provided by them and compiled for my kernel (Linux X
2.4.26 #1 SMP i686 GNU/Linux). I have also installed
the driver (uninstalling
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run first) using the
debian way (apt-get install nvidia-kernel-source
nvidia-kernel-common etc), but it happens the same:
led in monitor switches on and off, blank screen.

I have an nvidia quadro FX 1000 card and i need the
nvidia driver for 3D acceleration.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

--