Re: SIOCSIFADDR error...!

On Tuesday 31 August 2004 13:37, Nayyar Ahmed wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I have two ethernet cards on my machine one , both Realteck
> at the time of installation testing/woody it have detected both
> also when it was showing both at first boot , but it shows me
> eth1 down
>
> when i try to up it it give me error i.e
>
> ebian:~# ifup eth1
> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
> eth1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> Failed to bring up eth1.

It seems that the module (driver) for your card(s) is not being
automatically loaded.

# ifconfig -a

should show you all available interfaces. It is my guess that you won't
find eth0 or eth1 there. To make the devices known to your OS, load the
module, which could be any of:

# modprobe 8139too
# modprobe 8139cp
# modprobe r8169

depending on which specific Realtek card you have. After you've loaded
the modules, the devices should be available. Once they are, append the
names of the modules you used to /etc/modules, to make sure they're
loaded automatically on subsequent startups.

At that point, an ifup should work.

Hope this helps

-A