Re: Adding Swap Space

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 04:03:37PM -0500, Lance Hoffmeyer wrote:
> I didn't have a swap drive when I installed SARGE and I don't
> see a swap drive mounted.  I have now created a swapdrive.
> Do I need to install swapd?
> Also, how do I setup so the swapdrive is mounted/used at boot?

(Suppose /dev/hdc1 is swap. If you only need one partition, you don't
even have to partition it (i think).)

Add this to your /etc/fstab:

/dev/hdc1	none		swap	sw			0	0

NOTE: Just like a filesystem, a swapfile/swappartition must be formatted
      before it can be used.

      To format a swapdrive, use:

      mkswap /dev/hdc1

NOTE2: A swap partition is limited to 2GB on most archs. If you want
       more, use multiple swap partitions (Linux supports up to 8 by
       default.)

       If you use multiple swap partitions, you probably want them on
       different controllers for speed reasons.

--
The world's most effective spam filter:
        while :; do sleep 1 > /var/mail/$USER; done