Re: problem with info command

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 10:30:34AM -0400, Sebastian Luque wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your help so far narrowing this down. Here is a more complete
> description of what I did in TeX-live's installation script (<return> omitted
> for brevity):
> [...]
> TeX-live added the symlinks in the directories specified, and
> now /usr/bin/info is a symlink to /usr/share/TeX/bin/i386-linux/info. So it
> seems that TeX-live replaced my original info binary for that symlink, which
> doesn't work in my system. Additionally, I no longer have an info directory
> within Emacs, even though all the info files are there in /usr/info.
>
> I followed a suggestion to reinstall the texinfo package, which I
> did by uninstalling it first and then installing it again through apt.
> However, I couldn't do the same with info. It uninstalled OK, but after
> apt-get install info, I got the following message:
>
> No `START-INFO-DIR-ENTRY' and no `This file documents'.
> install-info(/usr/share/info/info-stnd.info): unable to determine description
> for `dir' entry - giving up
> dpkg: error processing info (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>  info
>
> [sigh], it looks like I'm again in need of some input.

Seems like the TeX-Live installation completely messed up your info system.
Maybe the original info files are still there somewhere and all you need to
do is to put them into /usr/share/info and reconfigure the info package. I
would suggest to install *all* non-Debian packages in /usr/local in the
future to avoid interfering.

Regards
lal