Re: Which kernel do i need

On Sat, Aug 28, 2004 at 11:56:07PM -0500, matt zagrabelny wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 20:21, Johnny wrote:
> > Hi
> > I have installed Debian-3.0r2-i386, I have installed ax25-tools,
> > ax25-apps, libax25 packages.  And turn around and installed
> > ax25-config-03.3 package.  Now i have been told that I need to compile
> > the kernel for Packet radio work right.  I have been googlen and reading
> > how to compile the kernel.
> > Now I don't know which one to use for ham radio.
>
> if youve never compiled a kernel, look on newbiedoc.sourceforge.net,
> they have a section for debian kernels (and the instructions are mostly
> right).
>
> -matt

I'm running Sarge. I looked in the /lib/modules tree. I see a bunch of ax25
stuff. I've never had an interest in ham radio. The stuff is just there.
I doubt very much that the original poster will have to compile a kernel
to get ax25 working. He just needs to use the appropriate stock kernel-image
for his hardware. So I recommend:

Get Debian working on your computer.
Install the modules that you mentioned in your email.
If you have error messages or complaints during the install, ask for help again.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net