Re: XFree suddenly cannot open /dev/psaux

Hello

Hendrik Boom (<hendrik@pooq.com>) wrote:

> Sudden trouble with X.  I don't know what I might have done, but is
> was all working yesterday.  I did try to configure ALSA (without any
> apparent success) but that shouldn't have messed up X, should it?  I
> looks as if it can no longer open /dev/psaux, and it refuses to start
> up without its mouse.

Do you use Kernel 2.6? Make sure the psmouse driver is present:

modprobe psmouse
echo psmouse >> /etc/modules

> I've tried minor changes in the mouse config, using dpkg-reconfigure,
> but to no avail.

If you use Kernel 2.6, select /dev/input/mice as your mouse device, even
if it is a PS/2 mouse.

> The significant lines from the /var/log/XFree86.0.log would appear to
> be [...]

Significant? That would have been the last 20 lines, not 1000 lines.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976