Re: USB and hotplug troubleshooting

Larry Holish <ljholish@speakeasy.net> wrote:

|> It looks like modules are being "blacklisted", whatever that
|> means. Can any one nudge me in the right direction so I can get
|> this fixed?

By default, the hotplug system probes all the hardware that it can
find at boot-time and tries to load the necessary kernel-modules.
Often, though, you don't want this. If, for instance, you load the
module for an ethernet adapter before the networking services start,
you end up with a half-configured network interface, which is useless
or inconvenient.

So hotplug provides the blacklisting facility, by which you can
instruct it not to load certain modules (on the assumption that they
will be loaded at a later point by other utilities when they will be
more useful).

The file /etc/hotplug/blacklist contains a list of the modules which
are not to be loaded,

Jim