Re: Have I been sniffed?

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 10:56:49AM -0400, Marc Shapiro wrote:

> The sender address on the SPAM message was my own.  That, of course, is
> easy enough for anyone to find.  The name of the sender, however, is
> what worries me.  The first name was a word that I use for a LOT of my
> passwords, and the last name could have been found in my e-mail.

Agreeing with what others have posted, a couple of other points to
add:

1.  Never use real words for your (non-trivial) passwords.

2.  If you're concerned that your box is rooted, get a known clean
Debian CD and reinstall, after preserving your personal data.
--
Carl Fink             carl@fink.to
Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading