Re: ide-scsi emulation deprecated

Jim McCloskey wrote:

|> > should work, but it is better to write |> > |> > cdrecord dev=ATAPI:0,1,0 etc
|>
|> why is it better than dev=/dev/hdc?

There was a huge to-do about this on the kernel mailing list not so
long ago (between the kernel developers and the author of
cdrecord)[1]. The consensus among the kernel developers seems to be
that there is no reason not to use the /dev/ naming system
directly. The author of cdrecord disagrees (hence the warning messages
that cdrecord issues), but for reasons that I at least don't
understand,

Joerg Schilling, the cdrecord author, argues that cdrecord uses SCSI commands to do its work, so everything should work according to the SCSI standard. That means, amongst others, addressing devices by bus,target,lun.

The kernel developers argue that in Linux, as in Unix, all devices are represented as files (in /dev), and they should be addressed as such.

Personally, I agree with the latter.

--
"Codito ergo sum"
Roel Schroeven