/usr/bin/editor missing: update-alternatives problem?

Somehow /usr/bin/editor got deleted, and this is causing problems
upgrading many of my editors.

I first saw this with vim
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=267095) a week ago,
but it's since bit me with many others (I track testing).

I suspect this has something to do with the fact that, in an effort to
make emacs my default text editor, I pointed editor at
/etc/alternatives/emacs (rather than a "real" binary):
# update-alternatives --display editor
editor - status is auto.
 link currently points to /etc/alternatives/emacs
/usr/bin/emacs21 - priority 0
/bin/ed - priority -100
 slave editor.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/ed.1.gz
/usr/bin/nvi - priority 19
 slave editor.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/nvi.1.gz
/usr/bin/vim - priority 120
 slave editor.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/vim.1.gz
/bin/nano - priority 40
 slave editor.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/nano.1.gz
/etc/alternatives/emacs - priority 150
 slave editor.1.gz: /etc/alternatives/emacs.1.gz
Current `best' version is /etc/alternatives/emacs.

(That was from before /usr/bin/editor vanished, though I see about the
same output now).

I suspect the real problem is not vim, but either that I have used
update-alternatives improperly, or that it has a bug.

Can anyone shed any light on this, or even on whether I should reassign
the bug elsewhere (dpkg?)?

Thanks
Ross Boylan

P.S. If you could cc this address that would be great, as I am
subscribed through a different one.