Re: ahc_dv_0

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 11:21:30PM +0200, Luis Fernando Llana D?az wrote:
> Hi all,
>   I am trying to install a 2.6.7 kernel with swsusp, the sources are obtained
> from the Debian repository. The kernel is running correctly until I try to
> suspend it: it says that cannot stop process ahc_dv_0
> root@principal:~# ps -elf | grep ahc
> 1 R root       510     1 21  85   0 -     0 -      20:09 ?        00:41:16
> [ahc_dv_0]
>
> In fact, if I try to kill that process it does not die:
> root@principal:~# kill -9 510
> root@principal:~# ps -elf | grep ahc
> 1 S root       510     1 22  85   0 -     0 need_r 20:09 ?        00:43:35
> [ahc_dv_0]
>

> Does any body knows what is that process for? who launches it? and finally,
> why cannot be stopped?

Well, looks like it's NOT a process, but rather a kernel thread.

Looking at the PPID, it is either launched by init, or (much more
likely) an orphan child of an insmod.

(Actually there is another possibily - youre system ran out of RAM and
swapped the entire process out. But the fact that it ate a SIGKILL makes
me think it's a kernel thread.)

Looking at the kernel source, it was spawned by your Adaptec AIC7xxx
driver. If you don't HAVE an Adaptec AIC7xxx, try rmmod'ing it. If you,
try rmmod'ing it. (if you have one an can't remove the driver, you might
need to get a different SCSI card.)