Re: Editing video

At 19:40 26/08/2004, you wrote:
Hi group,

My father has recorded some video on his camera and he wants to edit
this on his computer. The camera doesn't have digital video output or
something like that and his box doesn't have a capturing device. But, he
has a dvd recorder and has recorded the video on dvd. Now, what can he
do with the VOB files? With dvdrip and transcode you can make an mpeg
stream, but how to edit this? Linux Video Studio can only handle
capture devices it seems, and glav is not really what he is looking for.
It works, but that is all. Kino seems nice, and can load digital video
files from disk, but I tried to transcode a small piece of a dvd movie
to digital video using transcode with the ffmpeg (dvvideo), dv and dvraw
modules and kino messes up the video and audio. It loads and plays it,
but not correctly.

Does anyone know of good software (with scene detection) to edit regular
vob or mpeg streams? Or does anyone know how to transcode to video that
kino reads correctly?

Thanks,

David

I've no experience with it under Debian, but Cinelerra http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3 is a pretty full-featured video editing tool for Linux, although it's not the most stable or user friendly of beasts. I've used it for muxing a few different video streams together and add a few titles/subs to form a continuous segue thing. IIRC it's all statically linked, so you should be able to install from RPM with alien, but they now actually give a source ball with makefiles (before, they used to say it was too hard to compile from source).

Don't be put off by the minimum spec BTW ;) Just don't expect it to run fast on your old 486...!