Re: Help understanding "Anacron job 'cron.daily'"

ghcbc@yahoo.com writes:

> This is pure curiosity.  After boot I got the following message in my
> mailbox.  I was curious as to what maintenance job would be looking in user
> netscape caches.  I've looked at /etc/cron.daily/standard, the script that
> was apparently generated this message, but I don't see where it looks for
> anything in /home.

> [...]
> checksecurity >setuid.changes
> [...]

The above line is most likely the "culprit".  checksecurity uses find to
search for changes in setuid executables.

> In fact, in the part where the "find" command is used, I don't really
> understand what directory it is looking for lost+found stuff.

> [...]
> if [ -d "/lost+found" ] ; then
>   lost_found=`find '/lost+found' |grep -v 'lost+found$'`
> else
>   lost_found=""
> fi
> if [ "$lost_found" ]; then
>     cat << EOF
> Files were found in lost+found directories. This is probably
> the result of a crash or bad shutdown, or possibly of a disk
> problem. These files may contain important information. You
> should examine them, and move them out of lost+found or delete
> them if they are not important.
>
> The following files were found:
> $lost_found
> EOF
> fi
> [...]

The purpose of the above is to notify the administrator that fsck has
recovered files from a filesystem crash and deposited them in
lost+found.  This find command only searches /lost+found, but not /home.

> /etc/cron.daily/standard:
> find: /home/peanut/.netscape/cache/16/cache412BB9D602B129E.gif: No such file or directory
> find: /home/peanut/.netscape/cache/16/cache412BB9D602B129E.gif: No such file or directory
> find: /home/peanut/.netscape/cache/16/cache412BB9D602B129E.gif: No such file or directory

This can happen if these files are deleted while find is running.

Martin

--
  / ,- )    Martin Dickopp, Dresden, Germany    ((_/)o o(\_))