Re: fine-tuning du -h ?

Josef Oswald wrote:

Thomas Adam <thomas@edulinux.homeunix.org> writes:

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 02:33:06PM +0200, Josef Oswald wrote:
Is there a way to let du -h only print the size of a directory?

Sorry I was not clear here, I want to check more then _one_ directory,
at once:

like /home/oswald but du -sh returns a error that /home/oswald/pan/cache
is not readable ( something about input-output error.
I don't want to worry you or anything, sounds like dud disk or dud data to me. In your position, I'd take myself off to the local computer shop and get a new disk drive soonest.

At worst, you might not actually need it, but you'll have a fine backup device.

du -sh /some_dir

It's in the manpage, oddly enough.

Sure it is :-)  But since du returns the above error it does not
finish. du -h /the_directory works but it prints then all files. of
course I could put the output into a file and then go trough that...

Odds are if fails and you don't see the error because of all the extraneous noise.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait