make xconfig, libqt3-dev & libqt3-mt-dev

Hi,
I finally decided to jump to the 2.6 kernel branch :-)

First I made sure I had recent releases of make, binutils, etc. Then I
downloaded, installed and untarred the kernel-source-2.6.8 package.

When I executed make xconfig, I got this error message:

    HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/qconf
    /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lqt
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/qconf] Error 1
    make: *** [xconfig] Error 2

I did have the Qt libraries installed, including libqt3-mt-dev (version
3:3.3.3-2). So far, I didn't have had any problem compiling Qt/KDE
programs. I checked QTDIR anyway, which was set to /usr/share/qt3 as
usual.

By googling I found a post from a German user, which experienced the same
problem a few days ago:
    http://www.debianforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29911

I don't know German, but I understood he was suggested to install the
libqt3-dev package. I did, and qconf did indeed launch :-)

But:

1) I had to install libqt3c102 alongside libqt3c102-mt, which seems a
pityful waste of disk space. (libqt3c102-mt is required by KDE).

2) libqt3-dev conflicts with libqt3-mt-dev. In order to install it, I had
to uninstall libqt3-mt-dev and several KDE packages which depend on it
(kdevelop3-dev, libarts1-dev). This price tag was already mentioned at the
German forum.

3) According to the libqt3-dev self description, this package is
*deprecated*, and should be replaced by libqt3-mt-dev:

    WARNING: The nonthreaded version of Qt3 is considered deprecated and
    may disappear anytime in the future. Please use libqt3-mt-dev instead

So, why did configuring the latest kernel require a deprecated library?
I guess I missed something along the way :-(  Can you please help?

Thanks in advance,
 Quique