Re: Real Time monitoring/alerting utility..

syslog-ng can do this if the programs log anything interesting, and I
sent Michael a copy of a program I wrote to batch alerts before mailing
them (as not to kill the mta if there is a bunch of hits).  If you
really want real-time, just write a program that emails each line as it
is read from stdin.  I started with that, and spammed myself with a huge
number of alerts at one point.

sec was designed for this kind of stuff, and while I am certain that you
can get this working, the design of writing perl snippets for
configuration did not seem right to me.

The problem with logcheck and syslog-ng's implementation of a similar
feature is that you end up with a bunch of regex after a while.   And
it is not clear which ones are still useful  iptables actually does this
nicely with packet/bytes counter for each rule.

/Allan