Re: Package Download Tool?

c0ldfusi0n wrote:

Jon Dowland wrote:

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:04:02 -0400, c0ldfusi0n <c0ldfusi0n@mtl2600.org> wrote:
APT (http://packages.debian.org/{stable|testing|unstable}/base/apt)
Which is a frontend for DPKG
(http://packages.debian.org/{stable|testing|unstable}/base/dpkg)

Ok but how? How does apt or dpkg determine the architecture - and thus
how can it be instructed to use a different one?

APT uses a file named sources.list located in /etc/apt in which you tell Apt what type of Debian installation you're running (stable, testing or unstable) and where you also specify where to get the packages.

Jack said "cross architechture"

Think, "I want to get powerpc stuff while I'm running on Itanic hardware."

Jack
If your target's running Debian, then you can use apt-get there to list the packages you need:

apt-get -y --print-uris install lyx | awk '/http:/ {print "wget " $1}'

--

Cheers
John