windowmanager stopped working

OK, I finally got one of those annoying surprises.

I did a dist-upgrade last night and rebooted.
Target version is testing.

XDM comes up fine, but when I log in, it flashes a few times and then reverts back to the original XDM login screen.

Replacing XDM with WDM has the same effect.

No syslog entries.
No XFree log entries.
Executing 'startx' works perfectly, including the NVidia driver support.
dmesg | less doesn't show anything failing or warnings.

I'm just stuck on a rather silently failing xdm login process.
I'm not sure where to look at this point.