Re: Intel SR1325TP1-E on debian

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 19:24, Gabriel Granger wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> A couple of months ago I purchased the above 1U server thinking this
> would be sweet for migrating our old PIII mail server to.  Its got
> everything I need to speed up mail server access.  I really wanted to
> make use of SATA controller on this Mobo so that I could HW raid and
> have the benefit of larger and fasters disks.... I've had nothing but
> problems installing Debian it using Wood 2.4 Kernel and using Sarge 2.6
> kernel.   In the end I had to use SuSE... but not only SuSE but the
> profession edition as that was all that was lying around in the office.
>   The issues with Debian were I believe lack of support for the Intel
> chipset(Adaptec ICH5-R/S Serial ATA RAID) as SuSE managed to install
> fine.

SATA is supported on Linux 2.6 and 2.4.26.

The ICH5R isn't true hardware raid (software-based, proprietary). Even
as a SATA controller it won't even let you take advantage of the better
things about SATA - like being hotpluggable as the ICH5R doesn't
implement some of these functionality. If you're looking for hardware
SATA RAID you're better off with 3ware Escalade cards or other SATA RAID
controllers (check Jeffrey Garzik's nice status pages on libata in
Linux). Better yet, use the faster Linux software raid.

> After all this.... I guess want I really wanna do is backup the
> contents of the HD and remove SuSE and install Debian Sarge.  I dont
> wanna try this unless I know it will work.... has anyone got a Intel
> SR1325TP1-E 1U server and using the SATA Raid under Debian.

Well, I don't have that server model, although I do have an ASUS PC-DL
deluxe board which uses almost the same chip (ICH5-R for SATA-RAID).

--

Paolo Alexis Falcone
pfalcone@free.net.ph