Re: ndiswrapper/Sarge Newbie

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Roger Creasy wrote:

> Alvin Oga <aoga@ns.Linux-Consulting.com> wrote:
>

> hi ya roger
>
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Roger Creasy wrote:
>
> > >I am trying to set up ndiswrapper under Sarge. Do Debian specific instructions for this process exists? If so, can anyone direct me to them? If not, can anyone who has had success with this send me the how-to?
>
> >for a non-debian ndiswrapper blah blah
>
> >http://www.linux-wireless.org/Install-HOWTO/Drivers/NDISwrapper/ndiswrapper-0.7.txt
>

> I followed the instructions at the link provided above. When I entered the "make" command I got the following: "You don't seem to have sources for your kernel; install them in /usr/src, link /lib/modules/2.6.7-1-386/build to it and try again"
>
> I have the cd set for Sarge. Where to I find the sources for the kernel? Do I merely copy them to the directory in the error? Or are there other steps? How do I "link /lib/modules/2.6.7-1-386/build to it"?

you need to figuer out which kernel you are using
	uname -a

than you need to apt-get install 2.4.26-header...i386 or whatever
corresponds to your machine
	- make sure you have a 2nd way to boot your pc in case the
	kernels start to go bonkers

	- all of the debian kernel stuff is too much headache for me ...

i always use virgin kernels from kernel.org and harden with various
kernel hardening options the way i like it
	www.linux-sec.net/Kernel
	( these kernel.or kernels seem to behave with ndiswrapper )

i also ran into cases on deb boxes where ndiswrapper never installed
properly ( does not compile or does not install from make install )

> I apologize for the addition questions, but I am very much a newbie :)

questions is okay for following along some of the many howtos

c ya
alvin