Re: How to remove pakages and then install new...!

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 08:15:28PM +0530, Nayyar Ahmed wrote:
> Hello All,
>
>           I am receiving error when i un-install the apache2 pakage ,
> as i have given the following command i.e
>

> debian:/home/neenix# apt-get remove apache2
>
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Package apache2 is not installed, so not removed
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 65 not upgraded.
> 1 not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B of archives.
> After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
> Setting up apache (1.3.31-3) ...
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/apache.postinst: line 12:
> /usr/share/apache/postinst.common: No such file or directory
> dpkg: error processing apache (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
>  apache

Hi Nayyar,
you want to remove 'apache2', great! But it is important to read what is
actually happening, not just what you expect. On line #3 from above, it
says 'Package apache2 is not installed, so not removed'.

After that, apt is trying to fix a problem it found with apache. Apache
is not fully configured. Apt is trying to fix this and can not.

> also when i want to install its fresh copy as the old wont work i get
> followin errors...i.e
>
> debian:/home/neenix# apt-get install apache2
>
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Package apache2 is a virtual package provided by:
>   apache2-mpm-worker 2.0.49-1
>   apache2-mpm-threadpool 2.0.49-1
>   apache2-mpm-prefork 2.0.49-1
>   apache2-mpm-perchild 2.0.49-1
> You should explicitly select one to install.
> E: Package apache2 has no installation candidate
>
> i am halted with this problem plz solve it.

Again, you must read the messages. If there is a word you dont
understand, just ask. In this case, apt says that 'apache2' is a
'virtual package'. This is when more than one package that provided apache2
functionality. You therefore must choose the actual package that
you want to install.

Have fun learning Debian!

-Kev
--