Re: dpkg / apt equivalent to 'rpm -qf'?

Thomas Adam <thomas@edulinux.homeunix.org> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 09:24:45AM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:

>> > How is this unclear, exactly?
>>
>> It doesn't say, "Search for a filename THAT IS CONTAINED WITHIN an
>> installed package."  Why wouldn't the above include
>> programmatically-generated configuration files?  They're "from" the
>> package.
>
> They're not "from" any package -- they're created by programs that are
> themselves from packages.

Are configuration files that cannot be associated with exactly one
package all that common?  I would have thought that most configuration
files that are not in a package are created (and removed) by the
maintainer scripts of exactly one package.  In this case, it would
certainly (IMHO) make sense to have a way by which the name of the
package can be queried.  For the user, the mechanism which has created
the file may be less important than the information which package is
responsible for the file.

> But how on Earth can you keep information as to programs that created
> files?

One possibility would be that the maintainer script which
creates the file stores the filename in something like
"/var/lib/dpkg/info/PACKAGE.createdfiles".

> It's a stupid and pointless exercise.

I don't agree.

Martin

--
  / ,- )    Martin Dickopp, Dresden, Germany    ((_/)o o(\_))