Re: program to display popups in X ?

Stefan O'Rear wrote:

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 12:38:55PM -0500, Lance Hoffmeyer wrote:
Is there n easy program/way for me to get popup messages to appear in
X?  I basically create a text file in ~/docs/ with random information
and I wish to use cron to have it popup this information in X on an
hourly basis.

Lance

1. Write a script

  Put this in a file (let's call it ~/popupd)

#! /bin/sh
while :; do
 if [ -f ~/POPUP ] ; then
   xmessage -file ~/POPUP &
 fi
 sleep 1h
done

2. Make it executable

  chmod +x ~/popupd

3. Make it run on X startup

  startx : add "~/popupd &" to the middl eof your .xinitrc

  GNOME, KDE, OTHER : it'll be a "startup application"...

There are many ways to do what you asked. I'm just telling you about the
system I'm using...

Or for something more KDE-ish, something like:
kdialog --msgbox 'Howdy!'
(or with other switches you can put a message up from a file like in Stefan's example above, or question boxes, etc.

--
Kent