Re: help

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 12:23:06PM -0700, Bob Vila wrote:
>     I am running Woody on an old laptop (IBM Thinkpad
> 560), and X is doing something really wierd. Whenever
> I get into X, about the top inch of the screen just
> stays greyed out, and if you try to move your mouse
> over it, it displays what should be there at the
> bottom of the screen. What should I do about this?

Sounds to me like your video card disagrees with XFree86 about where in
VRAM the screen is located...

* Are you using an XFree virtual desktop? (that is set up in your
  XF86Config-4 file, a window-manager virtual desktop won't matter).
* Try using a different video mode. (640x480? 256color? etc...)
* It might be possible that your kernel/services are spewing messages at
  VT7 and messing up the picture. Check your syslog, and if there are
  lots of messages, try fixing those problems...