Re: Wrong interpretation og '\$' by bash?

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 02:10:50AM -0700, Daniel M. wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I have the following lines in ~/.bash_prompt (for all users):
>
>     PS1="\[\033]0;\$\w/\007\]\$\w/: "

I tried this here and got the same as you report, a "$" for root
instead of the expected "#". Then I used:

    PS1='\[\033]0;\$\w/\007\]\$\w/: '

and that worked! I played about a bit and consistently the latter
quoting style produced the expected result but the former did not. I
have no idea why this is (a bug?) but just thought I'd point it out so
you can try and see if using '...' instead of "..." will work for you.

Fingers crossed. :-)

--
Nicholas Lativy
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lativy