Re: Debian Linux on a mac?

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, den 19.08.2004, 21:33 -0400 schrieb S.D.A.:
> I'm going to attempt installing Sarge on my brother's G3 beige (old world), this
> weekend. Were you able to boot directly from the cd, or did you need to boot
> from floppy? Any pointers welcome -- I'm in the process of reading the Debian
> Mac install instructions, but pointers always welcome.

Beige G3 firmware is kind of broken. Some people claim to have managed
to boot from it - I didn't manage in days, like most users. There is a
small extension program for Mac OS 9 to boot linux. Sorry, forgot the
name... You can boot Mac OS 9, but nearly immediately it hands over to
linux.

This is not pretty, but IMHO the best way to handle linux on a beige G3.
Interesting enough this problem does not occur on *older* machines, I am
also running some 7200 and 7600. Newer machines aren't affected anyway,
since they are "newworld".

Bye, Ratti

--
 -o) fontlinge | Fontmanagement for Linux | Schriftenverwaltung in Linux
 /\\ http://freshmeat.net/projects/fontlinge/