Re: OT: Which tool, and how, to get partial string from file?

Kent West wrote:

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

In article <[🔎] 41265EB6.2050202@acu.edu>,
Kent West  <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
A programmer would know this . . , but not me  ;-)

I'm using a script to build a file by concatenating portions of two other files. Then end result needs to be checked to make sure a certain word shows up in a line.

I know that "grep programm <this email message>" would return the line:

A programmer would know this . . , but not me  ;-)

but what I want returned is just the word "programmer".

BTW, why not simply

    if grep -q word file
    then
        # word was present in file
        bla
        bla
    fi

My test script:

#!/bin/bash

if [ `grep -q icewm /home.local/snert/.xinitrc` ] ; then
        echo "Yep"
else
        echo "Nope"
fi

and the result:

snert[@macs51]:/home.local/snert> ./test.sh
Nope

But removing the "-q" seems to do the trick.

Thanks!

--
Kent