strange

I have been very successfully running debian from a cd for quite some time.
I use kernel 2.4.18-586tsc.  For some strange reason when I upgrade to
kernel 2.4.20 I can no longer boot from cd.  It appears the secondary loader
is not being emulated back to the cd but rather looks for a floppy disk to
continue the boot.  I use Lilo and the cd gets to LI...... and if I place
the floppy in the floppy drive that I used to create my bootable cd the
system will continue to boot but I want it to boot entirely from the cd and
have nothing to do with the floppy.  Again this process works fine with the
2.4.18 kernel so it is not in the process as I have recompiled my kernel
many times and the 2.4.18 always boots.  Any help would be great.  Thanks
Kris