Re: Ethernet card not responding after some time

Dijkman, R.M. (Remco) wrote:
Hi,

I have got this really weird problem. I have a router set up at home and
everything works fine. Computers at home can always access the internet.

I also have the SSH port on the router open so that I can connect to it
from elsewhere. However, when nobody is using the internet at home, the
router stops responding and I can not connect to it via SSH anymore. The
weird thing is that while somebody is using the internet at home, I can
SSH no problem.

My first suspicion is that the NIC is going to sleep after a certain amount of inactivity. You might check your Power Saving settings in your router's BIOS (assuming a PC-based router), or use a tool like mii-diag or nictools-pci to see if there's a sleep setting on your NIC.

If this is a hardware router, I'm even more clueless. Sorry.

--
Kent West
westk@acu.edu