Re: query about logrotate

On fredag 20. august 2004, 10:29, vivek misra wrote:
> acctually I am making a log rotate for log files and ionly want that
> all data except last six days are removed how could I done this,
> Is log rotate file is placed in crontab

If I understand your question correctly, you want to keep logs only for
six days?

I would suggest achieving this with a combination of daily and rotate
directives. From the man-page:

       daily  Log files are rotated every day.

       rotate count
              Log  files  are  rotated  count  times before being
              removed or mailed to the  address  specified  in  a
              mail  directive.  If  count  is 0, old versions are
              removed rather then rotated.

So, I think if you set daily and rotate 6, it would do what you expect.
All this happens in /etc/logrotate.conf and /etc/logrotate.d/ Please
have a good look at the files in there, they are rather
self-explanatory once you know where to look. You may have to edit many
files in /etc/logrotate.d/

Best,

Kjetil
--