Re: 200GB firewire drives and bios drive size limits

Alexander Schmehl wrote:

Well, I didn't tried it myself, but I guess a machine which is recent
enough to support firewire should be modern enough to support large
drives.

Nothing prevents you from getting a firewire 800 card and puttting it in your old Pentium 60:-)

I would expect it to work as you bypass all the IDE hardware and BIOS. Check that the
a) The enclosure supports the size drive you want to use
b) That the enclosure works with _your_ hardware. I have a USB2 enclosure that works easily on boxes I plug it into but not at all when the boss plugs it into anything except his powerbook running OSX.

Also I've noted that my USB2 laptop drive comes with two cables, one for power. _Mine_ works with just the one, others from the same source and apparently the same require two. However, afaik enclosures for 3.5" drives require external power.

Oh, if you can go a USB2/firewire enclosure, do. It gives you two chances to have it work, and you can plug it into a USB port and have it run at arount 900 Kbytes/sec which beats not working at all.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait