Trouble with ifup

I'm not able to get the file, /etc/network/interfaces, to be read successfully with by ifup(8). The following is a copy of what is the contents of the interfaces file (I've left out the comments).

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static\
	address 192.168.2.3\
	netmask 255.255.255.0\
	gateway 192.168.2.1

When running 'ifup -a', I get the following error,

/etc/network/interfaces:12: too many parameters for iface line
ifup: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"

Line 12 is referring to the line containing 'gateway'. I have attempted to format this file in numerous ways, all according to the specification defined in interfaces(5), without success. Any suggestions?

Ian Thomas