Re: Setting up development environment

Hello!

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 11:06:24AM -0500, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> I installed gcc 3.4. [...]
> I try to execute gcc to build a system. I get the error message that cc1plus
> is not installed. I *THOUGHT* apt was supposed to prevent this type of error,
> but maybe this one slipped through. Nothing is perfect, no matter how good.

In Debian gcc is still just the GNU C Compiler and not the GNU
Compiler Collection as one might expect from upstream's name, so
installing gcc won't pull in any g++ parts (dpkg -S cc1plus).

> Regardless, can anyone point me at a reasonable way to get the development
> environment set up? Working compilers, make, etc. It's taking more time to
> get the ability to compile than it took to install Debian.

Depends on what type of development you are going to do. I personally
prefer to hand-pick everything I need instead of installing some devel
task...
The meta package "gcc", for instance, suggests make, manpages-dev,
autoconf, automake, libtool, flex, bison, gdb and gcc-doc, which is
quite a good start. If you also want to package for Debian there is
still the package "build-essential".

Cheers,
Flo