Re: Are Debian's 2.6 kernels stable?

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 02:30:17AM -0700, William Ballard wrote:
> When Kernel 2.6.8 was recently released, a story on slashdot said there
> will not be a 2.7 series, experimentation will continue in the 2.6
> series and it will be up to distributions to stabilize the kernel.
>
> The story said you might want to actually hold off installing 2.6.8
> because this is the first kernel since that decision was made.  Has any
> stabilization been done to the debian kernel-source-2.6.8 package?

  From what I've heard, Linus is now doing something kinda like Debian
testing/unstable.  New patches are submitted to a special area called
the -mm tree.  You can build/use kernels from the -mm tree, and even
send bug reports.  Once a patch has proved it's worth, it is moved into
the mainline kernels.  So, the story was half right - they won't have a
development branch, but the mainline will still be treated as stable.