Re: To use GUI as root

Alexei Chetroi said:
> On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 09:55:16AM +0100, Ciaran Johnston wrote:
>> Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:55:16 +0100 (IST)
>> From: Ciaran Johnston <cj@nologic.org>
>> To: Johan Sch <johansche@absamail.co.za>
>> Subject: Re: To use GUI as root
>>
>> Johan Sch said:
>> >
>> > In Suse if you are normal user you use . sux - . to become root and be
>> > able to use GUI applications.
>> >
>> > Kindly please what would the same be in Debian.
>>
>> Set your display as root:
>> export DISPLAY=:0.0
>>
>> then allow localhost access to the display as normal user:
>> xhost + localhost
>
>   Thus allowing any user with shell on your computer connecting to your
> screen (not really a problem if you're only user in the system). If you
> are not going to use sux, instead of "xhost + localhost", better run
> "xauth list" as user which launched X session, to get list of cookies,
> than add as root "xauth add <line which matches your display>". Or set
> enviroment variable XAUTHORITY of root to user's ~/.Xauthority. See
> man xauth for more information.

Or use "xhost + root" if you are worried about other users using the display.

Of course, I don't know what the situation would be if a user name was the
same as a hostname ...

In any case, the OP typed "sux -" which I assumed was a typo, but it turns
out sux is actually a wrapper around the standard su command which will
transfer your X credentials to the target user. It's available here:
http://fgouget.free.fr/sux/sux-readme.shtml