Re: software RAID1: oops!

On Tue, Aug 17 at 10:04PM -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Will Trillich wrote:
> > so it's best to have a raid1 disk on each bus -- but do they
> > both have to be primary?
<snip>
> best config: hda + hdd  and  hdb + hdc
> 	- both raid has a primary disk and a slave

that's four drives, two raid1 pairs. we've only got one raid
pair (shooting for hda and hdd).

so we already have a working md* device using hda and hdb -- what
settings need to be changed before we shut down and move hdb to
hdd?

(and guess what -- i thought i could tinker with the two
separate drives by removing /etc/rcS.d/Sraid* from the startup
sequence. WRONG! how do we recover from that? :( )

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux boss 2.4.18-bf2.4 #1 Son Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #69 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
:
Preparing to UPGRADE POSTGRESQL? If you have a second machine on
your network that you can tinker with, do your upgrade there,
first: once tested, you can just have your current applications
link to the remote database through the network:
	psql -h 192.168.2.17 myDB
or in perl,
	$dbh = DBI->connect('dbi:Pg:dbname=myDB;host=192.168.2.17');
(You may need to tweak your 'host-based access' settings in
/etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf, first.) Once you're satisfied that
all is well, upgrade your main server. No down time!
  See "man psql" and "man DBD::Pg" for details.