Re: pci hardware modem not working

Levi Waldron wrote:

I just went out and bought a brand new, fully hardware PCI modem (for
$68!), USR 56K V.90 w/ Voice (2976/3298).  Unfortunately, it does not seem
to get assigned a ttyS* port during the boot process.  The Modem HOWTO
gives some tips for finding out the essential information, then says
without giving specific directions, to use that info with setserial to
assign a serial port to the hardware.  However I am at a loss as to how to
actually do that.  Here are the relevant results of what I have tried so
far.  Any advice, or pointers to more detailed instructions?

A quick google turned up this info from http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2002-Mar/0980.html:

/>Regarding US Robotics/3Com, I know of at least one PCI model they make /
/>that is a true hardware modem: the 5610. I have personally used this in /
/>3 different computers with a variety of different Linux distros, /
/>including SuSE, and it works great. /
/> /
/>The key is that this modem insists on being on com 5. I called USR tech /
/>support and was told that this is hardwired in and cannot be changed. /
/>In my opinion the com5 issue is why it won't auto detect in Linux. At /
/>least for me, it never autodetects. /
/> /
/>To get this working, use setserial. Basically setserial just tells /
/>linux, find the com port at the address I give you, and assign it to /
/>ttyS3 (or whatever). /
/> /
/>An example of the syntax is: /
/> /
/>setserial /dev/ttyS3 uart 16550a port 0xb800 irq3 /
/> /
/>You would have to change the above to reflect the I/O and IRQ the modem /
/>is using on your system and the ttyS* that you want to use. /
/> /
/>One way of finding the I/O and IRQ is type lspci -v in a terminal (1st /
/>character is an L) /
/> /
/>Some have had success with the following variation of the setserial /
/>command: /
/> /
/>setserial /dev/ttyS1 port 0xc800 auto_irq autoconfig (again /
/>substituting the correct I/O being used on your system).

--
Kent

/