Help! Web based apps all die without warning!

All web related apps on my system have a tendancy to die without warning.
I am running Sarge with kernel 2.4.24-1-k7.

At first it was just a problem with mozilla-firefox.  It would work for a
while, then, without warning it would just close up and die.  Then
mozilla-thunderbird started doing the same thing.  I thought that maybe it
was a problem that upgrading would solve, so I upgraded to the newest
versions available on Sid for firefox (0.9.3), thunderbird (0.7.3) and the
full mozilla suite (1.7.2).  Unfortunately, the problem still remains.
Any one of these programs is apt to die on me at any moment, without
warning.

I had thought that the problem was strictly a mozilla thing, but opera
(7.50) is also giving me the same problems, now.

Non-web-related apps give me no problems.  Konsole, TkRemind and Open
office are left running on my system and they never die.  Other apps that
I use from time to time, also give me no problems.  Only the web-related
apps do this.

I will have to verify this, but I don't think that it makes any difference
whether I am connected at the time, or not.  I am fairly sure that the
apps die even if I am not connected at the time (such as when reading
previously downloaded e-mail).

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro@sunlitsurf.com