Re: Sarge RAID install

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Alexei Chetroi wrote:

> > 	in /etc/fstab
> > 	/dev/md0	/	... regular stuff ..
> > 	/dev/md1	/swap	... regular swap stuff ..
>
>   What are benefits of having swap on raid?

none .. i suppose ...

but if /dev/hda dies .. you can still be working off /dev/hdc
along with all your data

> Isn't better to have two
> swap partitions on different disks and let the kernel to do load
> balancing?

if swap on /dev/hda goes bad ... the system wont know its bad
and you'd start eating yourself ( or for whatever reason hda went bad )

> I'm thinking to install software raid, but cannot decide
> whether to put swap on raid or not. Where can I read more about it?

whether to put swap on raid1/raid5 or no raid seems to be the same as
(unsolvable) vi vs emacs issues

in my book, don't put swap on raid ... it'd be pointless..

if things are in swap and the system crashes .. swap is useless
	- what is swap being used for ???

	- if the system is using swap .. add more memory !!!

if a disk dies ... whether you put swap on raid or one on each disk
is a "that's why you get paid to make these choices"

c ya
alvin