Kernel panic (customizing kernel 2.6.6)

Guys,

I am trying to customize my kernel 2.6.6 but it fails to boot. I have a
theory of why it is not booting, but I don't know how to fix it.

Let's see, I first downloaded and installed kernel-2.6.6-1-386 and
installed it just fine. I have a directory called /lib/modules/2.6.6-1-386.

Then I downloaded the kernel source for kernel version "2.6.6", check
out the difference in the version as compared to "2.6.6-1-386".

I then issued the following commands:

   make menuconfig
   make
   make modules_install
   make install

This created a directory called "/lib/modules/2.6.6". So far, so good.

Then I customized grub's menu.lst to include an option for the new kernel.

While booting with the new kernel it fails because the directory
/lib/modules/2.6.6 does not exist.

My theory is that the problem relies in the file called
initrd.img-2.6.6-1-386. Since the make process didn't create a
initrd.img-2.6.6 I kept the same one.

Last night I realized that this file is a "ram disk" and there is a
directory called /lib/modules/2.6.6-1-386.

So, when the kernel says that it doesn't find the directory
/lib/modules/2.6.6 means that it doesn't find it the ram disk, not in my
hard drive.

Am I on the right track here?

Now, I created a copy of it and mounted it. My idea was to rename the
directory /lib/modules/2.6.6-1-386 to /lib/modules/3.6.6 in the ram
disk, but it says that it is a readonly device.

The mount command clearly displays it as "rw". I mounted it with the "-o
loop" option.

I also tried to create a ram drive myself. I tried different sizes. The
last one I tried was twice in size, but when I was copying everything
from one ram drive to the other, it was running out of space.

So, any ideas about how to rename the directory in the ram disk?

TIA,

-Marvin