Re: Help requested: DMA, Seagate ST340014A, Kernel 2.4

Lo, on Sunday, August 15, Richard Cobbe did write:

> The computer did come with a PCI IDE controller card (the "unknown mass
> storage controller" line above) that has another two controllers on it.
> I haven't yet tried switching controllers to see if that helps at all; I
> may attempt that later this afternoon.

Well, that didn't work.  Moving it to the other controller should make
the hard drive visible as /dev/hde, but the kernel couldn't find the
root device, even when I specified `root=/dev/hde2' on the Lilo command
line.  The odd thing is, I've switched hard drives to this controller
before, back when I was having strange trouble with the previous drive
and trying to diagnose it.  I don't remember exactly what incantation I
had to mumble in order to get the kernel to find the partition, though,
so I can't repeat the process.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Richard