[OT] Sensible Dual/Quad w/ Lots of Ram System

I'm totally pavlovian, saw a review of Dual Xeon vs. Dual Opteron on
Infoworld and now I want to buy another computer.  Probably won't.

I currently have P43.2 1GB, and it's overclocked.  But video encoding
still takes hours and mozilla compile still takes a while.

I'd like something with 2-4 CPUs and 2-4 GB of RAM, won't put a fancy
graphics card in it or play games.  Might render some 3D.  I don't
really want a whole workstation or expect to use it interactively.

Xeons are just massively overpriced.  Athlon 64 seems like the way to
go.  I see newegg has 1GBx1 PC3200 at $200 -- do you think I'd ever get
4 sticks of that in a single motherboard?  In theory I could get two not
top-of-the-line Athlon 64s and 4GB of PC3200 and a case and a hard drive
for a bit over $2000, would this suit me?

Would it be worth it?